Monday, June 26, 2017

Busy But Grateful

It's been a very busy month! In Thailand, school has officially begun and farmers are starting to grow their crops again. That means, even though I'm relaxing and enjoying the wonderful summer vacation, my entire family is busy sending my younger brother, Isaac, to school. It also means that the family has not had an official summer vacation since I've been in Thailand, but nevertheless, we are all still grateful for the fellowship and unity God has given us this year to be together for the summer...

This month has been very productive indeed! I've had many mornings to study Koine Greek (original language used in the New Testament) alongside my father and older sister, who has willingly sacrificed her mornings to help me succeed! Not only did I learn the basics of Greek, I've had many opportunities to learn how to cook Thai cuisine and practice my new passion, photography and videography. I personally believe that the internet and social media is the most "trending" sensation of this generation. Everyone goes on Youtube or Google to search up something entertaining or look for information. Everyone goes on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram in order to communicate with people around the world. Now that social media has become the primary source that people look in to, I'd love to take the opportunity to make videos of travels and mission's trips in the near future to spread the Gospel!

Other than learning a new language, cooking Thai food, and pursuing a new passion, I've had my second trip to the villages this month! The second trip was to "Hui Kow", a village that my mother grew up in when she was a child. There I've had another chance to preach to the people. Gaining some insight on another way of preaching from my father, speaking the Word through the use of stories, I've been able to effectively relate with the Lisu people and communicate God's Word. The message (Matthew 19:16-26) seemed to have been very impactful for the Lisu people. Many of the people told me after the sermon that it was a very encouraging message and most were truly shocked that someone as young as me, could've preached so well. Praise God for many opportunities that He has provided me to learn, grow, and experience the missional life again...

Something important that I've learned this summer (Be sure to take some time to meditate on this):
    Ever since I've been in Thailand, the atmosphere was completely opposite than my time in America. In America, I seemed to have been busy wanting to do everything I could. I felt like if I did something, it would be considered productive. But, when I entered Thailand, I've been "forced" to relax. Thinking about it, it's been a way that God has been telling me to stop worrying, stop doing work, and relax in His presence. With that in mind, I now start to see the power of God continually working in Asia. He's making an impact on people's lives during the times I am working and resting! That's the amazing God we serve.
    Now take some time to relax, stop trying to work and be "productive." Sit back, relax, and enjoy the wonderful creation He has made for us... Enjoy the people he's put us with... Enjoy the things He has given to us. When we do that, we put our problems, work habits, and life into God's hands, knowing that He is in complete control.

This summer in Thailand has been very productive indeed and I am beyond blessed to have grown and matured in so many different aspects! 


The next couple of weeks will be a time for me to keep on focusing on my studies and continue preaching to local churches. It'll also be a time of relaxation, to hang out with my family and old friends from Grace International School (high school that I have graduated from). Thank you all for your prayers and support. Without you, these opportunities for evangelism would never be possible!

Some prayer requests that I have for the next couple of weeks:
      * Keep God in the center of my life
      * Continue with my studies
      * Good health
      * Learning and experiencing Asia from a missional perspective
      * Safe travels to and fro villages

Thank you all again for your partnership with me and my family. If you have any prayer requests or would like to message me about anything, contact me at:
                                                                    johnwong1216@gmail.com  or Facebook message me!

                                                                                       Experience a day at Hui Kow!

Preaching at Hui Kow
Had the privilege to hear the Lisu people sing praises to God in a different language!

Catching up with Lisu friends and relatives.

Learning how to make the best spring rolls!


No comments:

Post a Comment